The History of the NAPGC
The NAPGC was established in 1927 (the year of the first Ryder Cup) by John Henry Taylor, five times Open Champion, and F. G. Hawtree, the famous golf course architect. Both men realised that ‘public’ golf would grow from strength to strength and that the Association could bring about agreement between ‘private’ and ‘public’ golf. Now, over eighty years later, that thinking has not changed and the Association continues to adapt to the many changes in the organisation of golf in the UK including the recent evolvement of proprietary clubs.
In the early years recognition was difficult, but support from the R&A and membership of the England Golf demonstrate the organisation’s success. The Association has more than 90 affiliated golf clubs, with a playing membership of nearly 30,000. The NAPGC organises over 30 events for golfers of all ages, abilities and handicaps at individual, club and national level. The wide range of competitions has enabled the Association to maintain continuous growth as more clubs and members recognise the competitive and social benefits of membership.
The NAPGC is constantly evolving and seeking to organise new competitions for its members. The United Kingdom Public Golf Courses Championships were established in 1996 with entry open to public and proprietary clubs throughout the UK. The finals are played every year at St Andrews, the “home of golf”.
The NAPGC is aided in the staging of its Major Championships by the R&A and we are indebted to them for their support.
The NAPGC’s investment in new technology means that competitors can check their championship positions and results via the Association’s website.
As predicted in 1927, the Association continues to flourish with the support of its members/clubs and the commitment of its forward thinking Executive.
Golf Clubs and Courses who enjoy team and individual golf should consider joining this far reaching Association and enjoy the benefits of friendship and competitive golf.
The NAPGC Executive